Frequently Asked Wedding Video Questions #2
We’re continuing our “Wedding Education” mini-series of Wedding Video FAQs for brides and grooms who are looking for information on wedding videos, what to look for, how to ask the right questions, and who to hire.
Recently, we looked at “What is the difference between wedding videography and wedding cinematography?“. We learned that no matter what vocabulary you use, it’s really about the style of the final product. Focus on the quality, not on what they call themselves.
Today, we’ve got another question to consider…
Q2: I have a friend or family member who has a cool camera, so I can save on budget if I hire them. Why should I hire a professional cinematographer?
A: When a cinematic wedding video is way out of a bride’s budget, we understand. If your only option is a friend or family member (for this article we’ll lump it together as “friend”) then by all means, have them record something rather than having nothing!
But if you’re not sure, just want to save money, or don’t know who else to ask, there are some important factors about professional cinematographers that you may want to consider before making a decision you regret.
1. A professional cinematographer has the advantage of experience. They’ll know how to stay focused and won’t get distracted by friends or family they know personally. They won’t feel bad for missing out on the emotional aspect of the day because they’ll be too busy “working.” Remember, you’re hiring a professional to do a job, not to hang out.
2. A professional cinematographer will be prepared. They’ll have a shot list in mind to make sure they don’t forget anything important and will have changed the batteries in time so they don’t miss the first kiss. Having done many different types of weddings and been in many different types of situations, they’ll know how to handle last-minute changes and adapt for day-of emergencies.
3. A professional cinematographer is organized. They’ll remember who you are and what your desires are for a wedding film. They won’t forget their cameras and they’ll have a game-plan no matter what the situation is or how it changes on the day. Since they’re experienced and prepared, they’ll know typically how much time it takes for each event to keep you on schedule for the day.
4. A professional cinematographer is reliable. You’ll get what you expect when you expect it. Whether that’s communication on “day one” or finishing their deadline on time, you’ll know you can count on them and you won’t have one more person to track down. Their quality of work will be predictably consistent – not boring, but reliably professional, creative, and an accurate representation of your day!
5. A professional cinematographer has invested money and time in buying the right equipment and knowing how to use it. They will know the in’s and out’s of their gear and how to be creative with it to make a unique video just for you. Staying reasonably up-to-date on equipment will ensure a pristine image and audio quality that will last for years to come.
Let your friends enjoy the day, not worry about filming it. Save a friendship and hire a professional!
Fun Fact: A quick definition search online will tell you that the word Professional refers to someone who is “extremely competent…experienced…qualified…skillful…polished…sharp…efficient”.